Thursday, April 22, 2010

Earth Day Quilt







Several years ago my husband gave me a challenge to make a quilt out of 100% recycled fabrics and supplies. Then he handed me a pair of his old jeans and said I could start with them.

At first I was totally drawing a blank, but finally decided I would make a cathedral window type of quilt. So after going through all of our old jeans in the house I started cutting out circles. When I needed more jean circles I put this quilt on hold and would work on it whenever I had more jeans to recycle. I also needed a bunch of 4 1/2 inch squares of fabric and batting. I dug though boxes and drawers of fabric and think I have only 2 squares of each fabric in my squares pile. I cut batting squares along the way too. I think I have enough of everything so on this Earth Day I will begin sewing the circles together to make squares.

I know this will be a quilt that will still take some time to make, but know DH will be surprised when I give it to him when it is finished. He probably has forgotten about it by now. I think he challenged me about 4 years ago. Once I get a few circles sew together I will put in a photo. I am sure this will help to describe what I am trying to do. Oh, since he told me this had to be 100% recycled it will be sew together using several different colored spools of thread.

Well Happy Earth Day and I had better get to my project!

No comments:

Post a Comment